Jerry Kermode School of Woodturning
Teaching the Art of Non-violent Woodturning
Beginning through advanced classes are offered at Jerry’s studio in Sebastopol, California. See our schedule for dates and times. All tools and materials are provided and a delicious lunch is served each day. Jerry is also available as a guest teacher.
- Covers the essential elements of woodturning:
- Spindle & faceplate turning
- Non-violent woodturning
- Each student provided with a Vicmarc lathe and a set of tools to use in class
- Wood, sandpaper and finishes provided for basic projects
- Lathe Possibilities: Advanced techniques shown through demonstration
Day One: The Basics of Between Center Turning
- Tool selection
- Tool sharpening
- Wood selection
- Lathe set-up
- Proper speeds
- Basic safety
- The cuts: beads & coves, coves & beads
- Project possibilities:
– carving mallet
– weed pot
– spindle duplication
– oil lamp
– lots of quality shavings
Day Two: The Basics of Faceplate Turning
- Review Day 1
- Finding the bowl within the tree
- Mounting techniques-chuck types
- The bowl gouge: riding the bevel
- Nonviolent woodturning
– A green wood bowl
– A dry wood bowl
- Sanding and finishing
- Reverse chucking to finish the bottom
- Questions & answers & lots of congratulations all around
The Vicmarc VL100, with a 9" swing and 12" between centers, is a lathe small in size only. Jerry uses one daily for small projects and high-speed turning. The perfect beginning lathe, the Vicmarc VL 100 will see you through two days of challenging and satisfying turning. You will also get hands-on experience of Jerry’s VL300 and custom bowl lathe.
Cost: $425.00 (Returning studio students: $400)
Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Advanced Turning Projects
- Demonstration and hands-on*
- Natural edge bowls
- Multi-axis spindles
- and more (except hollow turning)
Cost: $180.00 (10% off to previous studio students)
Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Maximum of five students per class.
- Will take alternate 6th student in case of cancellation. Alternate will have choice of next available class.
- $100.00 deposit required, refundable up to one week prior to class or if class is cancelled. Balance due first day of class.
- Call us now at (707) 824-9893 to schedule. First come, first served.
- Dates subject to change or cancellation. Please contact us to confirm.