JERRY KERMODE SCHOOL OF WOODTURNING
Teaching the Art of Non-violent Woodturning
Beginning through advanced classes are offered at Jerry’s studio in Sebastopol, California, one weekend most months. See Itinerary Page for schedule. All tools and materials are provided and a delicious lunch is served each day. Jerry is also available as a guest teacher.
Saturday & Sunday
Times: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Cost: $425.00 (Returning studio students: $400)
- Presents the essential elements of woodturning:
- Spindle & faceplate turning
- Non-violent woodturning
- Each student provided with a Vicmarc lathe and a set of tools to use in class
- Wood, sandpaper and finishes provided for basic projects
- Lathe Possibilities:
- advanced techniques shown through demonstration
The Vicmarc VL100, with a 9” swing and 12” between centers, is a lathe small in size only. Jerry uses one daily for small projects and high-speed turning. The perfect beginning lathe, the Vicmarc VL 100 will see you through two days of challenging and satisfying turning. You will also get hands-on experience of Jerry’s VL300 and custom bowl lathe.
Day One: The Basics of Between Center Turning
- Tool selection
- Tool sharpening
- Wood selection
- Lathe set-up
- Proper speeds
- Basic safety
- The cuts: beads & coves, coves & beads
- Project possibilities:
• carving mallet
• weed pot
• spindle duplication
• oil lamp
• lots of quality shavings
Day Two: The Basics of Faceplate Turning
- Review Day 1
- Finding the bowl within the tree
- Mounting techniques-chuck types
- The bowl gouge: riding the bevel
- Nonviolent woodturning
• A green wood bowl
• A dry wood bowl
- Sanding and finishing
- Reverse chucking to finish the bottom
- Questions & answers & lots of congratulations all around
Times: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Cost: $180.00 (10% off to previous studio students)
Advanced Turning Projects
- Demonstration and hands-on*
- Natural edge bowls
- Multi-axis spindles
- and more (except hollow turning)
Beginning and Advanced Classes:
- Maximum of five students per class.
- Will take alternate 6th student in case of cancellation. Alternate will have choice of next available class.
- $100.00 Deposit required, refundable up to one week prior class or if class is cancelled. Balance due first day of class.
- Call now to schedule · first come, first served.
- Dates subject to change or cancellation. Please contact us to confirm.